Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"I love you Grandpa"

Grandpa Roe and me at my wedding reception
Grandpa, Tanner, me, and Grandma in the St. George hospital in April.

Grandpa and Tanner
Grandpa in the Panguitch 24th of July parade 2008
Wilford "Earl" Roe
December 28, 1922- November 10, 2008
I received a phone call yesterday saying my Grandpa Roe had passed away. I was in shock at first but then relieved. It was his time to go. This past year was like taking 10 years off his life, he was getting bad fast. My uncle and his fiance' died at a young age and I am sure they were waiting for him on the other side along with my grandpa's parents. But I will miss him until we meet again.
Some of my favorite memories of him....
His witty personality. He could joke and keep a straight face for a minute, then a smile would stretch across his face letting me know he was joking! Listening to him whistle all of the time. You always knew he was coming around a corner because you could hear his little whistle. When I was little he had a box full of beautiful diamond rings (fake of course) and would let me and the other granddaughters pick one to take home every time we went to visit. I still have many of them! He made the BEST fried rainbow trout. He could always get every bone out. Watching him and my grandma waltz. Him getting on anybody for throwing food or a good used piece of tin foil away because it was wasteful. :) I really could go on and on about how he was or what he did. But those who knew him best, I'm sure have the same memories.
I was able to talk to him the day before he died and some of the last words he told me were, "I hope you know I love ya."
"I do Grandpa, and I love you too!"




13 comments:

The Allen Family said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa Jenny. I remember meeting him a couple of times. He even teased me and he didn't even know who I was. He was a great man.

Bryan

The Allen Family said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa Jenny. I remember meeting him a couple of times. He even teased me and he didn't even know who I was. He was a great man.

Bryan

The Allen Family said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa Jenny. I remember meeting him a couple of times. He even teased me and he didn't even know who I was. He was a great man.

Bryan

The Allen Family said...

I have no idea why it posted my comment three times. Our internet at work is horrible. SORRY!

Bryan

Robin said...

Jenny,
I just called and spoke with Andrew (you weren't home). Marie was looking at your blog when we read about your grandpa and so I called on behalf of both her and I. Just letting you know we are thinking of you in this time.

The Lively's said...

Hey Jen, I am really sorry about your Grandpa! Grandparents are the best! I think they are easier to get along with than parents! That was nice you were able to spend some time with him! Not everyone gets to tell there Grandpa Goodbye! Again I am really sorry!

Jason and Tawni said...

Those are some really great memories of your grandpa, he sounds like a wonderful man. I am sure he will be missed but thank goodness we have the Gospel to give us comfort. I am so glad that you were able to talk to him before he passed away, what a special opportunity!

Camille said...

why you trying to make your post better than mine! ;) I should have put up more pictures, but right after dad called to tell me, I wasn't sure what to do and I was sad. So I just came up to blog about him. and for the past couple weeks, I've had a couple really cute pics of him on my desk, that I thought were good funeral pics, so I just grabbed the one I was in and scanned it......
Uuuuh, I'm gonna miss him! It's so weird but it was definetly HIS time. :)

The Martin's said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Jenny. Loved reading the memories. Its always hard to deal with death no matter the circumstances.

Judy said...

Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you! We are so sorry - I think the only way we make it through these times are with faith and all of our great memories! Know that we are thinking about you and your family and you are in our prayers!

Matt, Calli, & Dixon said...

Hey Jenny,
I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It is always so hard to lose a loved one. I had a hard time reading your post without crying! It is good to remember all the fun memories with him...thanks for sharing them! Miss ya tons! We for sure need to talk soon!

The Evers Family said...

I feel so bad that I haven't said anything! I hope you are doing ok. I'm glad you have so many happy memories. He sounds like an amazing guy!

Amber Lee said...

Yay! Mom just told me that she's bringing you guys out for Christmas. Just yesterday I was wishing I could afford to bring you out as a present to Mom and Dad. I'm so excited!