
Front of Jail

Andrew had a break in school so we drove down to see Liberty Jail, Independence, and some other church sites. I can not even describe how awesome it was. The jail was actually rebuilt, but the floor and a lot of the stone are the original.
First they described the structure of the jail, costing $600 back in the day.... making it a very expensive building. The walls were 4 feet thick. Foot of wood, two feet of lime stone and the middle was filled in with loose rock. The ceiling also had rock on it so if you were trying to escape the rocks would fall down on you. To explain how cold it would have been they told us that after the building wasn't used as a jail anymore, it was used as an ice house. People would cut ice out of the river at the first of winter and it would stay frozen until the first of summer.
Joseph and the others spent most of their time in the lower part of the jail, making it so they could not even stand up straight for months. A audio tape was played depicting words that Joseph had written and said. The spirit was so strong. It would take me forever trying to explain everything. It is definitely something everyone should see. I have never felt closer to Joseph Smith before or appreciated him so much. It was really good for me to experience it!




2 comments:
This is so cool. How far is it from where you live? I really want to come out there and visit you guys some time. I want to go to Nauvoo SOO BADLY! You should totally go while you guys are there, and don't save it till the last year or it'll never happen. Trust me, I know, because there are still so many things near Wilmington that I never saw because it always seemed like we had plenty of time to do everything. Maybe we'll have to come out and visit you guys and we can go to Nauvoo together. Actually, I'd rather go there without the kids. Maybe Jonathan and I will just have to make it a date!
mom and I went there and it was really cool. But I was in a huge hurry to get home- to get a job- and mom had us stop so much and this was not on our planned trip home. Plus I wasn't all that active then so I didn't appreciate it as much as I probably would now.
Post a Comment