Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Going on a Bear Hunt"

For the summer my friends Allie, Shauna, and me started a play group for our boys three days a week, two hours a day. We each take a day to watch them. I thought it would be fun to have a theme so it was "Going on a Bear Hunt". We went on a nature walk gathering things we thought a bear would eat. It was fun listening to them convince the others that a bear would eat something. Then we came back and read the book, "Going on a Bear Hunt". (Actions included) I set our own up and took the boys on our hunt, going under tables and over chairs, then to the basement to find the cave. The lights were out and all the kids had their own flashlight. As we tiptoed down the stairs, the kids steps got slower and slower and their eyes bigger and bigger. I had to keep reminding them we were just playing and there was nothing to be scared about. Once they saw the "Cave" they all stopped. As I continued down the stairs they decided to follow. I knelt down at the opening and asked them if they could see anything. All four boys (we had a brother too) slowly with wide eyes shined their flashlights in to find....
A BEAR!!!! Only a Teddy Bear of course.. but still a bear. I grabbed the bear to chase them and they all ran upstairs. I thought they would just run into the living room but they went back over the chairs and under the table just like the way we came! They all laughed and it worked out better then I had planned.
Andrew said I needed a picture of them all going down the stairs. Their faces were great. But there was no way I could have stopped them there to run and get a camera or try to have them that nervous and excited again. So no picture of the intense moment! I did get a few pictures of them playing in the cave afterwards.
In the cave/fort
They said the wanted to watch a movie so I turned one on. They all cuddled up on the floor and I thought, "Great... quiet time.... It lasted for about five minutes before they all were up and on to something else!

3 comments:

Amber Lee said...

That is the funnest thing ever! I can just imagine their faces going into your basement--SCARY! Remember when you played that game with Bailey and had her all scared, and then Dad really scared her? LOL
I need to be doing more fun kind of stuff with my kids this summer, too.

Camille said...

Nice, I can see your psycho head doing the actions all crazy. you love that book....big dork! :)

Shauna said...

You are so great! Ben LOVED the bear hunt, loved it! I can't wait for the umbrella pics:)