
All (3) kids in the car for the first time headed to Kensley's first well check up.
The doctor thought she was doing good. But because her skin is so red he couldn't tell whether or not she might have jaundice. So he had a blood test done "just to be sure she was okay". One nurse came in and only got half the blood she needed and couldn't get any more. Kensley was freaking out and so was Tanner. Tanner doesn't like anyone messing with his sister. He saw a nurse prick her heel in the hospital and got teary eyed. This time he was prepared... he crouched down put his hands over his ears and closed his eyes. But with a second nurse having to come in his voice cracked and he asked me, "Why are they doing it over? It hurts her."
We left the doctor and went to Joann's for a little bit to pick out fabric for Kensley's blessing dress. Only about an hour and a half after leaving the doctor I received a phone call saying she DOES have jaundice. Kensley's bili count was a 20.4 and doctors don't like it going above 14. So she was well OVER. Within an hour after the phone call a Respiratory Therapist was at OUR house with both "the tanning bed" and the bili blanket. The RT was getting everything set up and said she would say Kensley would be on the lights for 3 days 24 hours a day. I couldn't believe it. As soon as the RT put her in the "light bed" she began throwing her arm up in the air, scared to be in such an open space. I asked if I could put socks on her hands so she wouldn't scratch or a little blanket to calm her. The RT said, "No she needs all the light, nothing on her." I felt so helpless to see her scared, grabbing, and crying for help and I couldn't do anything. Kensley would start to shiver and try to curl up to get warm. We finally hung a blanket over the front and her temperature went up. (We had to keep checking her temp., documenting any diaper changes, feeding, etc.)
A nurse came back last night after Kensley had been on the lights for 5 hours to take more blood to get the bili count. After leaving the house she called me about 20 minutes later saying the bili was down to 18. GREAT NEWS. I had Andrew and a friend give her a blessing that night.
IT was a LONG night of taking her in and out of the bed to nurse and change her, while still keeping the bili blanket on (she couldn't be off the lights). Andrew, my mom, and I all took shifts sleeping on the couch by Kensley (me more to feed her). The following morning a nurse came here again to check her out and take more blood. The blood clotted on the way to the hospital, so a nurse had to come back out to take more. FINALLY we got the new bili count (13.5). Kensley was doing so good. The doctor gave permission to take her all the way off the lights. WOOHOO!!! She will go in to see the doctor on Saturday morning to make sure things are still looking good.
I am SO grateful for the priesthood blessing she was given and the gift of healing which I believe shortened the time she had to be on the lights. The doctors thought she would be on them longer, possibly 3 days. She's a fighter!
Curled up and feeling vulnerable.
Warmed up and stretched out.
Wrapped in a blanket Grandma made and out of the light bed I am one happy girl. Now to get rid of the bili blanket.
"Why are they doing this to me again?"
Three times yesterday and two times today Kensley's poor heels were pricked to draw blood. 11 little viles total were taken. :(
Kensley started sucking her thumb when the nurse was taking blood from her heel this morning. It looked so cute.









9 comments:
Poor baby! What a traumatic thing for both of you. Both of my girls had Jaundice. But I never had to do the lights. Glad she is better now.
Oh Jenny I am so sorry!! Tanner is such a great older brother. I am so glad the Kensley is doing better. She sure is one cute little fighter. But then again she is your daughter so I wouldn't expect anything less.
That must have been miserable! I didn't know babies sucked their thumbs that young! I have a lot to learn! I hope things get better for y'all.
Love the thumb sucking picture
So glad she is doing better!
I am so glad she is doing better! She is beautiful!
P.S. Rylee has a blanket made out of that same star material.
I love the picture of her in the star blanket. So cute!
so cute (sucking her thumb)! that's sad, but good she's off the lights. I love her bath pics- in the red towel she looks so cute. Cherise loves the bath, she is totally relaxed and loving it. Granted after the cord comes off they can be submerged and Kensley will prob love it too. ;) Can't wait to see her, I hope it's before Novemeber, but probably not. :(
She's so pretty! I hope we will see her soon. You're unintentionally making me feel guilty about you having to switch her name to kensley:)! u shouldve just went ahead with what u wanted!! who cares about us??? haha! we miss u guys!
Post a Comment